Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sale Fail.

As some of my fellow makeup addicts may already know, NYX Cosmetics is celebrating their 12th anniversary with a wicked awesome sale. Sort of. They've been having major, major problems with their servers and the vast majority of the world is unable to access their website. The few that get through are unable to add items to their cart or checkout and complete their orders. NYX's Facebook fan page is blowing up with complaints; I literally just counted 13 negative posts on their page within a span of ONE MINUTE.

I fully believe that customer service is the most important part of any business. You can't disappoint your customers. But sometimes crazy things happen. Some things just can't be avoided. There are a lot of angry potential customers saying that this is some kind of scam, but trust me, it's not like they don't want your money. Many customers are even vowing to never buy from NYX again.

It just seems a bit extreme to me that so many people are being so harsh about a problem that no one would have expected and that there is no quick fix for. I'm not going to lie; this scares the crap out of me. It makes me wonder what kind of unavoidable freak accident could happen to ruin my business? NYX is already a big enough company to bounce back from this, as bad as it is. But if something similar happened to me in my first year- or five- of business, it'd be the end of me.

Of course in this particular example, the servers are overloaded due to extreme traffic, which is not something I'll have to worry about any time soon, but you get my drift.

I'm already worried that, although no one has expressed it, maybe people are starting to lose faith because it's taking me so much longer than expected to open my doors. There are just so many things that can greatly damage the very delicate balance necessary to run a business, especially with a one-woman-show like mine.

But don't worry about me. I'm stubborn. Vexxy is going to happen and be successful no matter what it takes. These are just some ramblings about the kinds of things business owners have to take into consideration.

The show must go on!

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I understand technical difficulties happen but what really irritated me was all the "be patient" "keep trying, you have til 5am or noon" "we did our best to prepare"
    1. We, the customer have the right to be frustrated since what we were promised is not being delivered
    2. I'd prefer not to spend the next X hours of my life trying, k thanks
    3. Ok they tried to prepare but underestimated things. By saying we tried to prepare etc it feels like they are saying "It's not our fault!" In my opinion it would be much better if they said something more along the lines of "We seriously underestimated the number of people that would try to take advantage of our sale and we apologize for the inconvenience and frustration it has caused all of you. We will learn from this and not make the same mistake again in the future. Thank you for your patience"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. The longer this has gone on, I've noticed a number of things that I'm unimpressed with, regardless of the original problem. I was actually just about to post an update on the situation.

    ReplyDelete